Frequently Asked Questions

System FAQs

The North Carolina Office of Emergency Medical Services designates "System Specialists" who are responsible for providing review, evaluation and technical support in a variety of areas including: initial EMS agency provider license and alternative practice setting inquiries, applications and approvals; modifications and renewals for existing EMS systems and licensed EMS agencies; data quality and performance improvement consultation and drug-assisted intubation program feedback. The system specialists also work with the State Medical Director to ensure medical oversight compliance within each EMS system, including review and approval of policies, procedures and protocols.

1. What do I need to do if changes are being made in our EMS system?

Any changes/modifications to the system's operational status should be submitted through an official OEMS Modification Application to the systems specialist for your region. Specific areas that require the use of the OEMS Modification Application are:

If the system is seeking to add an alternative practice setting, use of the Alternative Practice Setting (APS) application is required with supporting documentation. If a specialty care program is seeking changes to their system, use of the SCTP approval/modification application is required. If a system is only adopting a recently revised protocol, policy or procedure, the system may use the "EMS Protocol, Policy, and Procedure Modification Form."

All modification application documents are valid only when completed and verified by the appropriate endorsement signatures from system administrator(s) and medical direction.

System modifications applications should be submitted at least thirty (30) days prior to the planned implementation of the proposed change(s).

For assistance with any of the OEMS modification documents, please contact your regional systems specialist.

2. I need to make a change to our agency. Where can I find the paperwork (modification docs)?

 Contact your regional systems specialist for the most current OEMS modification documents. Your systems specialist can also provide your system with the most current and updated renewal application forms.

3. Which specialist handles my region now?

The regional office map provides you with the names of the field staff in your region and the specialty in which they can assist you. It also provides contact information and mailing addresses for the regional offices.

4. I want to open my own transport agency. What do I need to do?

The NC Office of EMS regulates all agencies transporting patients by stretcher.  If you are creating a service capable of transporting stretcher patients, you need to contact your local EMS system administrator in the county in which you wish to establish operations to learn what is required to meet that county's franchise agreement/ordinance for the service level of interest.

Once the franchise agreement/ordinance requirements have been met, the local EMS system administrator will submit a system modification to the N.C. Office of EMS adding your agency as a licensed provider. Any agency transporting stretcher patients must have a license from the N.C. Office of EMS. The N.C. Office of EMS will schedule permitting inspections for all agency transporting vehicles. Permitting inspections are required to ensure the provider has vehicles that are stocked with the proper equipment and that they meet all requirements established in North Carolina Administrative Code. The regional systems specialist can assist the EMS system administrator and your agency administrator with any questions they may have during the licensing process.

If you are creating a wheelchair van service, you need to contact your local agency that regulates taxis. Wheelchair vans are not regulated by the N.C. Office of EMS.

NC Office of Emergency Medical Services